Tuesday, June 29, 2010

4th of July Treats

If you had a chance to read through my post from yesterday, you would know that I am a big fan of the 4th of July! I just love the vibrant colors, the stars, and of course the importance of what the holiday means for our country.

To celebrate, I made some 4th of July treats for family and friends. They were a lot of work to make, but it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot too. It was also my first time stitching, which was an interesting experience to say the least!

Here is the treat.


I handstitched around the edges with PTI red baker's twine, and left the top open to drop in some M&Ms. Below is a pic of the yummy mint M&Ms inside!


Thought I would show you some pics, as to how I made and assembled it. 

The thin white paper in the background is parchment paper, which I used as a buffer between the red paper and the cuttlebug plate. It served two purposes: to prevent the cut lines from showing up on the red paper and also to provide an inside liner for the treats. 


The star was diecut with the largest star nestabilties. Then it was stamped repeatedly with the Freedom sentiment. Then I ran the star at an angle through my Cuttlebug embossing folder and swiped the impression with Fresh Snow ink.

Here are the stamps I used. They were only $1 each! ;)



They are part of the 4th of July Old Glory collection from We R Memory Keepers. I really love that line of papers and coordinating stamps! 

Next, I did some paper piercing around the edge to provide a guide for the stitching.


Then I stitched with PTI poppy baker's twine to fasten the treat holder together.



I stamped the fireworks image, cut it out and then rolled it around my paper piercer to give it dimension. Then, I sponged on some Chamomile ink to soften it.

I also added score lines across the intersections of the angles to make the star dimensional. Here's a closeup. 


Finally, I tied a bow with PTI white silk ribbon and added the stamped elements (and of course the candy too!). 


That's all for today! Thanks for stopping by to take a peek. Hope you have a very sunny day!


All supplies are Papertrey Ink, unless otherwise listed.
STAMPS: We R Memory Keepers-Old Glory collection (Boom! and Freedom), USA-Studio G
INK: Enchanted Evening, Pure Poppy, Fresh Snow, Tea Dye Duo (Chamomile)
PAPER: Pure Poppy, Vintage Cream
OTHER: Pure Poppy Baker's Twine, 1/4" white silk ribbon, Spellbinders nestabilities-stars, Cuttlebug embossing folder-chipped paint

11 comments:

Teresa said...

Monica these are really cute!Love all of the little details that went into making these.

Tammy said...

Love these! I know your friends and family will feel special with these adorable favors. I love how you texturized them with the embossing folder. The baker's twine was a great touch too!

Jill said...

Monica, how cute are these!! I love what you've done here--an original idea for a holiday that doesn't get a lot of treats, usually. The parchment paper was a great idea! Just fantastic!

Gayatri said...

Wow! the star looks awesome especially after the embossing and the white ink on it. Thanks for the tutorial. Love it, Monica!

Dana said...

SO fun Monica, and your hand stitching is marvelous! What a great idea!

Liz said...

Monica, that is ADORABLE! I love it! Thanks for doing the tutorial, too :)

Heidi said...

Monica those treats are fantastically cute! Thanks for sharing how you made them. They are worth every minute that you spent on them.

Anika said...

What a great project! They looks awesome!

Barbara said...

Adorable project! I love it!

Diane Jaquay said...

These are ADORABLE Monica, perfect little treat holders for the 4th!!

Kara said...

This is so cute! Perfect little party favors!

Related Posts with Thumbnails